What Is Pig Beach in The Bahamas?
The Bahamas is a stunning vacation hot spot that is known for the crystal blue, tranquil waters, white sandy beaches, and beautiful, lush vegetation and landscape surrounding this picturesque island. While many vacation goers flock to this exquisite island for sun, surf, and relaxation, the Bahamas offers a wide variety of local sights and attractions that are unique and charming to the Bahamian culture and essence of the island. Pig Beach is a one-of-a-kind tourist attraction that offers a unique experience where you can enjoy the beautiful ocean while swimming alongside pigs that are local to Paradise Island and located on Big Major Cay. This island is only accessible via boat, and the pigs are known to wander this inhabitable island that many tourists and sightseers will visit. The pigs are not native to the Bahamas and how they ended up on the island is unknown. However, they were believed to be left behind after a shipwreck or by a sailor. The Bahamian locals have created an environment to help support and sustain a healthy living system for the pigs by installing troughs for eating, accessible water systems, and medical care when needed.
When visitors come to Pig Beach, they are invited to take in the stunning tropical setting and interact with the pigs. Visitors can feed the pigs fresh, local fruits and vegetables and swim with the pigs in the ocean. These pigs are friendly with tourists and will swim alongside you as you enjoy the tropical waters of the ocean. However, locals do suggest that you maintain a respectful distance and demeanor with them as you would with any other live animal to respect their habitat and environment. This tourist hot spot is truly a unique, one-of-a-kind experience that is a must-see for vacationers and tourists of the Bahamas.
5 Reasons Why Animal and Ecological Activities are Big in The Bahamas
The Bahamas is a stunning vacation hotspot but what puts the Bahamas ahead of other tourist destinations is the high level of care and concern that is placed upon preserving the beautiful ecological landscapes, respecting the unique wildlife that lives within this island, and the efforts placed by locals to maintain the pristine, clean ecological systems that are within the Bahamas. When you travel to the Bahamas, there are so many engaging activities that you can participate in that will place you on this magnificent island by enjoying the many ecological activities and animal attractions that are available to locals and tourists alike. Individuals will flock to these events for a variety of reasons including:
- Preservation of land- Ecological activities bring opportunities for tourists and locals to enjoy the pristine oceans and lush landscape without causing any damage or harm to the ecological systems in place. Tourists can engage in activities that foster the continued growth of local agriculture without taking away from the necessary systems in place to continue supporting this environment to thrive.
- The Bahamas’ wildlife is a one-of-a-kind experience- Visiting or living in the Bahamas will provide you with opportunities to visit local animals such as the West Indian Flamingo and Rock Iguana, endangered species. The Bahamas has systems in place to foster healthy, natural breeding of these animals to support in maintaining their livelihood and wellbeing.
- The ocean surrounding the Bahamas is pristine and full of wonders to see- The locals in the Bahamas have placed a significant effort to maintain the cleanliness and purity of the barrier reefs and aquatic wildlife that surround and live within this local region. Tourists and locals can explore these vibrant, mesmerizing ecosystems through various activities such as snorkeling or deep sea diving that will allow you to witness the variety of fish, mammals, and aquatic wildlife that venture through the ocean.
- Unique animal interactions- When most people think of a beach vacation, they often expect to participate in animal activities such as swimming with dolphins or snorkeling. The Bahamas offers many unique opportunities for you to explore, engage, and witness the vast, stunning wildlife that this island has to offer. You can choose from activities that will invite you to feed rare local animals, see the natural habitats of local animals, and witness the efforts in place to maintain longevity within these animals’ ecosystems and natural habitats.
- Explore the beauty of an archipelago- The Bahamas is known as an archipelago, meaning it is a cluster of islands that make up this nation. Each island offers a unique, stunning landscape, beaches, and ecological system within each island that make this nation a one-of-a-kind experience.
6 Other Animal Attractions in The Bahamas
The Bahamas offers tourists and locals upfront access to breathtaking wildlife and animals to witness and interact with. Pig Beach is a popular animal attraction, but the Bahamas offers so many more animal attractions that are awe-inspiring and engaging including:
- Black Sound Cay- This national park is home to many migratory birds that are local to the Bahamian area.
- Tagging Green Sea Turtles at Cat Island- You can attend this sea turtle roundup where you can support the monitoring of the green sea turtles population to help preserve this exquisite animal
- Feeding stingrays in the Abaco Islands- Visitors to Abaco Islands can feed the stingrays with grouper, and in some cases, individuals may feed these magnificent animals using their toes if you are looking for an adventurous option.
- Visit flamingos and lorikeets at Ardastra Gardens in Nassau. When you visit these gardens, you can salute flamingos which are locally known as drill birds while also having the opportunity to feed the local lorikeets.
- Feed iguanas of the Great Guana Cay- Take a boat tour to this small Cay where you can feed the local iguanas with grapes on a stick. These prehistoric animals will rest among the Cay and are a stunning sight to see and friendly to visitors feeding them.
- Visit the Bimini Biological Field Station- This local shark research and conservation lab will allow you to get up close and personal with lemon sharks and nurse sharks. After learning about sharks and the foundation’s works, you will be able to pet these sharks as you wade in a shark pen.
Live in Paradise at the new Paradise Landing Residences on Paradise Island
The Bahamas can be much more than just a vacation hotspot. You can easily call this stunning location your new home and reside within the upcoming Residences of Paradise Landing. Our luxury residences will be located immediately adjacent to the Hurricane Hole Superyacht Marina, the centerpiece of Paradise Landing. The beautiful sights of the Bahamas’ premier superyacht marina are just outside your door. This private community offers residents a wide variety of amenities and opportunities that will immerse them in the laid-back, relaxed lifestyle of the Bahamas. With exclusive access to restaurants, cafes, golf courses, and more, you can live in an environment that feels like a permanent vacation. Contact Paradise Landing 242-677-1900 today and hear more about the exclusive units offered to our residents and make the Bahamas your new home now.